Serena Williams was fined a record $82,500 on Monday for her U.S. Open outburst, and could be facing a suspension from the tournament if she flips out at any Grand Slam in the next two years.
So what did she do? The 11-time Grand Slam singles champ went nuts on a lineswoman after a foot-fault call (a call rarely made at the end of such an important match) during her semi-final loss to Kim Clijsters at the U.S. Open in September. The call resulted in a double-fault for Williams, moving Clijsters one point from victory. Serena stopped, grabbed a ball to serve again and then paused. She moved toward the official and started hollering, cussing and shaking the ball at her. She was penalized a point on the spot — during match point — to end the semifinal with Clijsters ahead 6-4, 7-5.
Grand Slam head honcho Bill Babcock said Williams is on a “probationary period” at tennis’ four major championships until 2011. If at any of these tournaments she has another “major offense” he will increase the fine to $175,000 and then ban her from the following U.S. Open.
The previous highest fine given to a player after an uncalled-for tirade was for roughly $48,000 to Jeff Tarango back in the 1990s. Behave yourself, Serena!Tweet
Leave a Reply
- Best Live Score Sites – NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, CFL, Golf, Tennis and Soccer
- How Not To Rob A Sportsbook
- NASCAR Betting Free Picks: Daytona 500
- Winter Olympics Betting: Total Medal Count
- Handicapping the ‘new’ Arena Football League
- Tips On Betting The Superbowl: Part 2 of 2
- Tips On Betting The Superbowl: Part 1 of 2
- NFL football betting: Handicapping the wild card round
- College football betting: handicapping the ‘late’ bowl games
- Handicapping final week NFL betting
- February 16th, 2015
Why tennis player Serena Williams dominates her sport
- September 9th, 2014
14th-seeded Marin Cilic captures U.S. Open
- April 7th, 2011
Djokovic the new king of clay?
- April 7th, 2011
Nadal teaches Federer a lesson again
- January 3rd, 2011
Rafael Nadal and Blanka Vlasic named athletes of the year
- December 24th, 2010
Gillette Cuts Tiger Woods
- October 14th, 2010
Federer in Fedtastic Form
- October 13th, 2010
Nadal and Federer Might Lose, Djokovic Won’t
- October 11th, 2010
Shanghai Masters: What is in the head of Fernando Verdasco?
- October 9th, 2010
Monfils Beats Roddick in Marathon Match…and More