Sports Betting News, Free Picks & Sportsbook Reviews
The Americans ended their 16-year Women’s World Cup drought in style on July 5th when they downed Japan 5-2 at the B.C. Place Stadium in Vancouver British, Columbia. The game was a rematch of the 2011 Final which Japan won in a penalty-kick shootout after playing to a 2-2 draw following 120-minutes of play. There were over 53,000 fans on hand in one of Canada’s biggest stadiums for Sunday’s match and they were treated to a women’s record seven goals in a Cup Final. The Americans got off to one of their best ever starts as they scored in the third, fifth, 14th and 16th minutes to jump into an insurmountable 4-0 lead.
Most hockey fans and experts figured the NHL’s Los Angeles Kings were going to buy out the contract of forward Mike Richards or trade him and still pay part of his salary. He’s still under contract with the team for five more years and the club owes him $22 million. Loa Angeles’ general manager Dean Lombardi placed Richards on waivers last season and then sent him down to the Manchester Monarchs of the American Hockey League (AHL) when nobody claimed the 30-year-old Canadian. This was partly due to the length and cost of his contract, his lack of production and his off-ice reputation for being a bit of a partier.
Not only was undefeated American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. recently named the highest-paid athlete in the world by Forbes, he also topped the list as the best-paid entertainer on the planet. Mayweather captured the number one spot as usual for his 36 minutes in the ring with Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines back on May 2nd. ESPN reported that Mayweather’s take from the bout which he won via a 12-round unanimous decision, will be a minimum of $220 million and could reach as much as $230 million.
Much of this comes from the 4.4 million pay-per-view sales of the fight across the globe. Mayweather took a 60 per cent split of the profits while Pacquiao’s camp kept the other 40 per cent. This means the Filipino fighter could rake in about $150 million and that’s why he has been named the second-highest entertainer and athlete in the world. Pacquiao’s earnings from the lone contest are about the same as NBA star LeBron James’ career earnings up to now.
American soccer star Clint Dempsey of Major League Soccer’s Seattle Sounders has been hit with a two-year ban from the U.S Open Cup tournament. Dempsey, who formerly played in the English Premier League with London clubs Fulham and Tottenham Hotspur, was punished for recently grabbing a referee’s notebook, throwing it to the ground and then ripping it to pieces. And yes, he also received a red card for the temper tantrum.
MLS suspended Dempsey for three matches for the incident and then the United States Soccer Federation stepped in and doled out their punishment. When all was said and done, the American federation banned Dempsey for half a dozen U.S. Open Cup contests or the next two years of the tournament, whichever is greater. Dempsey was also hit with a fine, but the amount of it wasn’t released to the public.
Gonzalo Jara of the Chilean national team has been booted out of the Copa America in his homeland after inserting his finger into the rear end of Uruguay’s Edinson Cavani. The two players were facing each other in the quarterfinals of the competition which Chile won 1-0 after the reigning champions were eventually reduced to nine players.
The incident infuriated Jara’s club team, German Bundesliga side Mainz, so much that they’re now trying to offload him. The German team saw the videos and photos of Cavani getting the bum’s rush and weren’t too happy with him. And neither was Cavani of Paris Saint Germain. When he felt the 29-year-old Jara prodding around in his backside, he brushed Jara’s face with his hand and Jara hit the deck as if he was shot. Cavani was then sent off the pitch by the referee with a second yellow card.
Sign up for the SportsUntapped newsletter and receive free picks and news of the NFL, NBA, NHL, UFC and much more.
Welcome to SportsUntapped.com.
Along with the latest sports news, we also have online sportsbook reviews and some of the best sports betting information on the internet.
We've reviewed the best US and non-US sportsbooks, with detailed ratings and deposit information.
Our sports betting guide has tips for betting on NFL, CFL & NCAA football, MLB baseball, NBA & college basketball, NHL hockey, Nascar, F1, tennis, golf, UFC, soccer and more.
Our online betting guide is designed to help new punters understand different types of bets and betting odds. We'll show you how to make the most profitable bets and teach you all the lingo.
For experienced bettors, check out our homepage every day for the latest tips and free sports betting picks. We do the research and show you where the value is.