Washington Capitals superstar Alexander Ovechkin may well be the best hockey player on the planet, and now Forbes Russia is recognizing him as Russia’s richest and most famous male celebrity. Ovechkin also rated the third richest and most famous Russian overall, behind tennis goddess Maria Sharapova and 61-year-old pop singer Alla Pugachev.
The rankings were based on income, print media mentions, and web searches on a Russian search engine. Ovechkin moved up from 5th in the 2009 Forbes Russia rankings. Last year, he finished behind not only Sharapova and Pugachev, but also a group of comedians called Comedy Club and Arshavin, a striker for Arsenal.
The only other hockey player to crack this year’s Forbes Russia Top 50 was Ilya Kovalchuk, who was 13th overall and 5th among athletes, behind Arshavin and figure skater Evgeni Plushenko. Kovalchuk fell two spots from 11th in 2009, but if his 17-year, $102 million contract with the Devils goes through he should move up in 2011.
Thanks in part to her many endorsements, Maria Sharapova made more than twice as much as Ovechkin this year. Her income increased from $22 million to $25 million, while Ovie’s take stayed steady at $12 million.Tweet
Leave a Reply
- Best Live Score Sites – NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, CFL, Golf, Tennis and Soccer
- How Not To Rob A Sportsbook
- NASCAR Betting Free Picks: Daytona 500
- Winter Olympics Betting: Total Medal Count
- Handicapping the ‘new’ Arena Football League
- Tips On Betting The Superbowl: Part 2 of 2
- Tips On Betting The Superbowl: Part 1 of 2
- NFL football betting: Handicapping the wild card round
- College football betting: handicapping the ‘late’ bowl games
- Handicapping final week NFL betting
- August 26th, 2015
Pro tennis players getting better with age
- February 16th, 2015
Why tennis player Serena Williams dominates her sport
- September 9th, 2014
14th-seeded Marin Cilic captures U.S. Open
- April 7th, 2011
Djokovic the new king of clay?
- April 7th, 2011
Nadal teaches Federer a lesson again
- January 3rd, 2011
Rafael Nadal and Blanka Vlasic named athletes of the year
- December 24th, 2010
Gillette Cuts Tiger Woods
- October 14th, 2010
Federer in Fedtastic Form
- October 13th, 2010
Nadal and Federer Might Lose, Djokovic Won’t
- October 11th, 2010
Shanghai Masters: What is in the head of Fernando Verdasco?