Warning: mysqli_query(): (HY000/1030): Got error 28 from storage engine in /home/sportsun/public_html/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 1942
Chelsea and AC Milan fight over Fernando Torres: Neither team wants him – SportsUntapped.com
Today is
Added December 16th, 2014 by Ian

Chelsea and AC Milan fight over Fernando Torres: Neither team wants him
Warning: mysqli_query(): (HY000/1030): Got error 28 from storage engine in /home/sportsun/public_html/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 1942

It looks like Spanish striker Fernando Torres might have to find somewhere else to play once soccer’s January transfer reopens in January. He’s currently on loan with AC Milan of the Italian Serie A from Chelsea of the English Premier League, but neither club seems to want him. This will probably end up being Milan’s problem since they’re on the hook for Torres’ salary after agreeing to a two-year loan with Chelsea.

Fans shouldn’t feel sorry for the club or player though as he rakes in millions of dollars a year for sub-par performances on the pitch. AC Milan should have done their homework and should have bothered to scout Torres before agreeing to borrow him for two years. If they’d have taken the time to watch Torres in action with Chelsea over the past couple of years they would have realized he’s definitely not worth his paycheque.

That wasn’t the case several years ago though when the 30-year-old Torres was a top goalscorer with Atletico Madrid of the Spanish La Liga. He was a fine goal scorer back then and English club Liverpool signed him. Torres played well with the Reds and scored 81 times in 142 matches in all competitions with them.

However, he then got greedy and wanted Liverpool to sell him to Chelsea, which the Anfield outfit did in January of 2011 for a then British record of 50 million pounds. Torres was signed for 5.5 years and turned out to be a huge bust at Stamford Bridge as he managed to find the back of the net just 20 times in 110 league games. His form went downhill in each successive season and it’s no wonder Chelsea was eager to get rid of his salary, which is approximately $15 million per year.

AC Milan took the bait and agreed to take Torres off of Chelsea’s hands for two years, but they caught a break as they’re only paying about 35 per cent of his salary. Chelsea is still paying him the other 65 per cent. Milan feels they’re still overpaying the player at $5 million since he’s scored just one goal in contests for them so far this season. Since the transfer window is coming up they’d like to unload Torres.

However, Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho isn’t interested in taking Torres back. He already has strikers Diego Costa, Didier Drogba and Loic Remy on the books and doesn’t want to mess with the chemistry of the squad. Mourinho said Torres is gone for two seasons and there’s no room for him at Chelsea. AC Milan might attempt to send Torres packing anyway and would be on the hook for a financial penalty of they cut Torres loose. Chelsea could then try to loan him elsewhere, sell him, or let him leave on a free transfer. Milan has already contacted Atletico Madrid about Torres, but they don’t want him either.

The blame needs to be shared here by the player and both clubs. Torres kicked off his downfall by wanting to leave Liverpool for Chelsea and Chelsea made a mistake by offering him a 5.5-year multi-million dollar deal. AC Milan should also have known better than to borrow him for two years based on his play with Chelsea. Who knows, maybe Liverpool will end up taking Torres back. He’s scored 91 goals in 244 games with Atletico Madrid, 81 in 142 for Liverpool, 45 in 172 for Chelsea and has one in 10 games with Milan. Torres has scored a total of 218 goals in 568 career club games in all competitions and also has 38 in 110 matches with Spain.

 
Bookmark and Share

Leave a Reply

 
Best US Sportsbook
Exclusive Betting Bonus

5dimes


Sports Betting 101
Latest Sports News